I have been threatening to make eggnog every Christmas for at least 10 years but each year I have run out of energy and time by Christmas Eve and all I want to do is sleep. This year I got it made and we actually played board games and drank eggnog and laughed a lot on Christmas night. It was so worth making the effort and keeps well.
WHITE CHOCOLATE EGGNOG (dairy free – almost paleo)
This is better if started a few hours or a day before being needed. The flavours will develop and it thickens in the fridge.
- 1 litre whole milk, (1 litre almond milk)
- 300ml cream (600ml coconut cream)
- 3 tbs sugar or honey or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp grated whole nutmeg and more to serve
- pinch salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup white chocolate pieces (omit if truly dairy free)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 to 3 tbs Dark rum or brandy to taste
- extra milk to serve (almond milk)
- extra brandy or rum to serve
- extra grated nutmeg or cinnamon to serve
- Put half the milk and all the cream into a saucepan, add the spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves), salt and sugar, bring it to just below the boil and let it slow simmer for 5 minutes, turn off and leave to steep, preferably overnight.
- After steeping for a while bring the milk mix back up to simmer, add the white chocolate, stir until it has dissolved and turn off. Taste for sweetness and adjust as necessary.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a mixer on high, for a few minutes, until pale, creamy and doubled in volume. Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually add in the milk mix, through a strainer, and continue mixing until smooth.
- Wash the saucepan, return the egg mix to the saucepan and at a low heat, stir constantly with a silicone spatula until the mix has thickened and has reached 80ºC.
- Immediately add the rest of the milk to stop the cooking, add the vanilla and a couple of tbs of rum or brandy, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Put the mix into a jug and refrigerate to chill until ready to use.
Put a portion of the mix into a glass, top up with milk, add more brandy or rum to taste (or homemade kumquat brandy), a few ice blocks and a grind of nutmeg. Enjoy!!