A strata is just a fancy word for an egg and vegetable bake. This one can be used as a side dish or light meal. There is another one here that is fantastic for a family breakfast – great to prepare and simply put on to cook when you get out of bed. BREAKFAST EGG, BACON & CROISSANT STRATA
This is another of those fantastic, easy vegetable dishes that can be made as a big batch and will last as a side over several meals. It can also be eaten with salad as a light brunch. Again, use any combination of vegetables that you think will taste good. A few mushrooms, some spring onions, carrot, spinach – all will work.
Gather all the ingredients, do the prep and then assemble.
- 500 grams sweet potato (pumpkin or carrot will also work), peeled and thinly
- sliced and steamed until just tender, they should be bendy, definitely not mushy
- one zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or beans
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream or kefir
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- In a 20cm square cake tin or baking dish build these layers:
- sweet potato
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- In a jug, lightly beat the eggs, add the cream/kefir and 1/2 cup of the cheese, season with salt and pepper and pour this evenly over the vegetable layers
- Sprinkle with the thyme and top with the other 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 160C for 30-40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.