This is tasty, easy and quick if prepared in a combination of microwave, high speed blender and a small fry pan for the onions and spices. Most of the cooking is done in the serving dish. You are left with a fry pan an blender jug to wash up. And it can easily be on the table in less than half an hour.
And to add to that is that it tastes really good.
CAULIFLOWER & BROCCOLI CREAMY SOUP
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 2 tsp crushed garlic)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (sweet is fine)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 head broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock (or stock powder & water to make up quantity)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup cream
This is the quick way to put this together. It can be eaten straight away but like all spice blends it will improve with time. There will be more than enough for lunch the following day. It can be done in a saucepan and slow cooked.
- Put the chopped cauliflower, broccoli and potato into a large microwave safe dish (heat proof serving bowl saves washing up), add half cup of water/stock, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and steam in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Check the doneness of the potatoes with a knife, everything else will be done. Leave until onions are ready.
- While the vegetables are cooking heat the oil in a small pan, add the onions and cook slowly until they soften, add garlic, paprika and cumin and continue to cook until you can smell the spices. Add 1/2 cup water and some stock powder (or stock) to the pan to deglaze and leave.
- Put the cauliflower, broccoli and potato and any liquid into a high speed food processor and blend until smooth, about 90 seconds.
- Pour about half the mixture back into the microwave safe dish.
Add the onion mix and the other 2 1/2 cups of stock to the processor and blitz for another 90 seconds.
- Pour the onion and vegetables into the dish, add the cheddar and stir to combine.
- Return to the microwave and cook on medium/high until quite hot.
- Add the cream (leave a little to swirl on the top when serving), season to taste with salt and pepper and check it’s at the desired serving temperature.
- Serve with a swirl of cream and some cracked pepper.