This is the end of my experimenting with what to do with a piece of silverside. This is my progress:
- Boil the silver-side – in the pressure cooker, with pickling spices
- Cooking in the slow cooker, with pickling spices
- Rub with pastrami rub, leave for 24 hours, smoke to stall, rest, cool overnight, steam for 2 hours and cool again.
- And now the ultimate – combine the smoker and sous vide. Here the cooking is done in one day. It is soooooo good.
- Big chunk of corned beef – a lot of effort here so it may as well be as big as possible to make sure that is worth it.
- 4 tbs fresh coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 1 tbs freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbs coriander powder
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs paprika (smoked if available)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustrad seeds
- Make up the rub by grinding with a stick mixer, coffee grinder or mortar & pestle. I have an attachment on my stick mixer which works brilliantly.
- These can be quite salty. Wash well and soak the meat in water in the fridge for a few hours to remove some of the saltiness. It’s a good idea to change the water a few times. Don’t skip this step, I have and was very sorry – way too salty!!!
- Dry the washed (and debrined) meat with paper towel. Press the rub into all sides, cover lightly with baking paper to allow it to dry out a bit and return to the fridge at least overnight to absorb the flavours.
- When ready set up the smoker, put the meat on a rack, add a meat thermometer. Watch the temperature, spritz regularly with apple juice and add a small amount of wood from time to time to keep up a thin stream of smoke.
- When the temperature reaches stall point, around 65°C, spritz, wait for and hour or so, the temperature won’t go up but it may take a bit more smoke.
- Remove the meat from the smoker and set aside until it is cool enough to handle and seal into a large vacuum bag.
- Place the meat in the sous vide set to 65°C. Cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove and refridgerate until the next day. If necessary can be consumed earlier.