This is so easy, goes together in 10 minutes and you use whatever you can find in the fridge. It’s great for leftovers and provides a beautiful breakfast / brunch for 6. Served with a salad it can easily go to lunch. For Christmas / Boxing Day it can be made the day before, up to the cooking and just popped into the oven and you have a really easy, yet impressive breakfast.
It keeps well and slices can be reheated the following day.
- 6 large eggs, duck eggs are perfect
- 2 cups kefir or 1/2 cup cream and 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup (packed) greens, eg spinach, kale, zucchini- all chopped
- 3 stems spring onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup ham or bacon (cooked), chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 1/2 cups bread torn into 2cm chunks, can also be croissants (about 3 depending on size), bread rolls, sourdough
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (split into 2 portions)
- Handful of parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 2 litre casserole dish or spring form pan.
- Whisk the eggs, kefir, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper in a large glass jug (it helps to have one with a measure on the side so you can check the quantity will fit into the baking dish).
- Fold in the greens, meat, bread and 1/2 cup of the cheese and pour into the greased baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese and a handful of parmesan
- (optional – you can let sit for an hour or it can be left in the fridge overnight, brought to room temperature while the oven is heating, and cooked)
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until it has puffed and browned. Rotate it during cooking. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Allow to set for about 10 minutes before serving.
- If it has been cooked in a spring form pan it can be opened up and served on a platter.