I discovered that the tops of most of my root crops make very tasty leafy greens to use in salads. Radish, beetroot, turnip tops all taste better than silver beet.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tbs honey / maple syrup / palm sugar
- 1 tbs vegetable stock powder (vegetta)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 bunch turnip tops, radish tops, beetroot tops, spinach, silver beet or a combination
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ¼ cup sultanas, raisins chopped apricots, dates or other dried fruit
Slice leaves and onion very thinly.
Roast seeds in fry pan and put aside (fallen in love with the Actifry – does this so easily).
Heat dressing in large fry pan, add fruit and toss in thinly sliced leaves and onion and cook briefly until just wilted and turn off heat. Put in serving bowl, sprinkle with seeds and avacado.