- 6 young turnips, cut into 1/8s
- Enough water to just cover
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1tbs vinegar
- 15 g butter, or more as needed
- 25 g white sugar
- Place the turnips into a skillet with the water, vinegar and stock powder over medium heat, and simmer covered until the the turnips are tender, about 15 minutes. Test for tenderness, hopefully the water will have evaporated if not pour out the excess liquid and toss until the turnips are dry. (can also be cooked in the microwave with much less water)
- In the fry pan stir in the butter and toss until coated, and sprinkle on the sugar. Gently tossing the turnips until the butter and sugar cook into a brown, sticky coating on the turnips. Serve hot
Mashed Turnip Bake
Ingredients (in the following proportions or something similar)
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup milk (or sour cream, cheese, cream)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cook turnips and potatoes unitl tender – either in a saucepan or microwave. Remove from heat, and drain.
- Mash together (or put through a potato mincer, but lumpy is fine as there is a bit more texture) with, 2 tablespoons butter, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer turnip mixture to a small baking dish. Dot with remaining butter. Cover loosely, and bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove cover, and continue baking on fan grill, until lightly browned.
Turnip Greens Salad
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 tbs water
1 tbs honey or maple syrup
1 vegetable stock powder (vegetta)
1 bunch turnip tops, radish tops or beetroot tops or a combination
1 avocado, sliced
½ cup red onion, sliced
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
¼ cup sultanas, raisins chopped apricots, dates or other dried fruit
Slice leaves very thinly.
Roast seeds in fry pan and put aside.
Heat dressing in large fry pan, add fruit and toss in thinly sliced leaves and turn off heat. Put in serving bowl and add toss with onion, sprinkle with seeds and avacado.
This is simply the same as above except that I use palm sugar, omit the avocado and onion, cook it for a bit longer and add about 100g of cream cheese to make a creamy side dish to have with steak.