Another use for the rhubarb that I grow. I needed to get a lot of the plants cut back as they were getting rather large, so I had a lot of rhubarb to deal with.
This relish goes really well with soft cheeses and mild meats such as chicken, ham and pork.
- 6 cups sliced rhubarb (put through the food processor with the slicing blade)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- rind and juice of 1 orange
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp ginger – grated
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
- squeeze of lime or lemon
Put all the ingredients, except the rhubarb, into the saucepan, and cook for a while until the liquid has reduced to about half and the onion is tender.
Add the rhubarb and stir for about 5 minutes until tender.
Put the hot mixture into hot sterilised jars, seal and store in the fridge or freezer.