I have a carrot and cucumber pickle recipe that is similar to this one. The radishes have a bit of a foul smell when sliced up but this dissipates after a while. I poured off some of the liquid before serving and this helped with the smell.
- 1 bunch red radishes (about 13 radishes)
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp yellow or brown mustard seed or whole grain mustard
- 1/4 tsp whole coriander seed slightly crushed
- 1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse peel and trim both ends of the radishes. Peel the onions. Slice thinly – use a food processor. Place radishes and onions in a bowl, and leave in the refrigerator while making the pickle.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, mustard seed, coriander seed, peppercorns, and bay leaf in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. Squeeze any juice from the radishes and add the brine, stirring to cover. Let cool then cover and refrigerate.
- Use to top burgers, sandwiches, or as a side for curries or salads.