Cucumbers are another vegetable that I didn’t like much until I grew my own.
These are salads that are delicious, keep well and can be served with just about anything.
Oriental Pickle Salad
Mix together, boil 1 minute and cool:
- 6 tbs rice wine vinegar,
- 6 tbs caster sugar,
- 6 tbs water,
Thinly slice and mix together:
- 2 medium long cucumber, cut lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, slice, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 1/2 hour, rinse and squeeze out excess juice
- 1 carrot,
- 2 bok choy,
- 1/2 red onion,
- 1 tsp ginger,
- add 2 tbs chopped coriander
Pour cooled syrup over.
Let stand for a few hours before serving.
Can be stored in sterilised jars for a week or so.
Hot and Spicy Pickled Salad
- 6 peppercorns
- 6 coriander seeds (slightly crushed)
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup caster sugar,
- 1/4 cup water,
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Mix together, boil 1 minute and leave to let the flavours blend and the mix to cool.
- 2 medium long cucumber, cut lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, slice thinly,
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 capsicum sliced thinly,
- 1 or 2 finely sliced chilli
Make a brine using 1/4 cup salt and 2 cups water. Add carrot, onion and cucumber, mixing together. Leave to stand for 1/2 hour. Drain and squeeze out liquid.
Pour cooled syrup over vegetables,
Let stand for a few hours before serving, stirring frequently.
Can be stored in the fridge for a week or so.