I was going to buy some olive tapenade for mini pizza toppings and roast my own capsicum to go with it, but I couldn’t find the tapenade so bought olives and made it myself – so simple, why would anyone buy it.
- 2 cup (300g) pitted kalamata olives (or pit them yourself just add extra olives to make up for the seeds)
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbs drained capers
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the olives, anchovy, capers and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. (Alternatively, place ingredients in a mortar and pound with a pestle until well combined).
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream until well combined and a smooth paste forms. Don’t use all of the oil, just enough to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a small jar and pour over extra oil to cover the tapenade surface (to prevent oxidisation).