- 4-5 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups of a combination of almonds and walnuts, cashews, pecans, (preferably activated – see below) chopped into chunks (Tamara apparently you can use a Thermomix on speed 4)
- 1/2 cup mixed pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar or agave syrup (optional)
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Melt the coconut oil and mix in the cinnamon and sweetener if using. Put the nuts and seeds into a bowl and thoroughly mix in the oil mix.
Bake at 120°C for 1-2 hours or until golden, stirring every 30 minutes.
Serve with any combination of fruit, coconut yogurt, kefir and almond milk etc…
ACTIVATING NUTS AND SEEDS
Nuts and seeds are activated to remove the phytic acid which stops absorption of some minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, calcium, chromium, and manganese.
- Dissolve salt in water in the proportions below, to cover the amount of nuts/seeds you are activating
- Soak for the hours listed
- Drain and rinse
- Spread out on dehydrator racks or on a baking tray.
- Dehydrate for around 12-24 hours or put in the oven at no more than 65°C.
- Stir or turn occasionally
- Remove to cool then store in airtight containers.
Nut /Seed / Salt per cup of nuts / Soaking Time
- Almonds: 1 tsp, 8-14 hours
- Cashews (don’t oversoak & dry immediately): 1 tsp, 2-3 hours
- Hazelnuts, Peanuts, Macadamias, Pinenuts: 1 tsp, 7-12 hours
- Pecans, Walnuts: 1/2 tsp, 7-12 hours
- Pepitas, Sunflower Seeds: 2 tsp, 7-10 hours