Kylie Kwongs Italian Mushroom Ragout
(inspired by Franca and Stefano Manfredi)
Serves: as part of a meal for 4-6
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 salad onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 200 g (61/2 oz) fresh button mushrooms
- 100 g (31/2 oz) fresh oyster mushrooms
- 150 g (5 oz) fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 100 g (31/2 oz) fresh Swiss brown mushrooms
- 100 g (31/2 oz) fresh enoki mushrooms
- 100 g (31/2 oz) fresh black cloud ear fungus
- 125 g (4 oz) unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch cracked white pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Place garlic, onions and salt in a heavy-based pan. Cover with all the mushrooms except enoki and cloud ear fungus. Top with butter, olive oil and pepper and place over high heat for 5 minutes, without stirring, to allow the flavours of the onions and garlic to penetrate the mushrooms.
Add wine and remaining mushrooms, stirring to combine. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are just tender. Stir in parsley and serve.
Mushrooms and Onion – baked or barbecued
This is a lot easier as it’s made with standard mushrooms, that doesn’t mean that it can’t be made with other types of mushrooms. It can be prepared early and put in the oven or barbecue 1/2 before it’s needed.
- 1/2 kg button mushrooms cleaned, trimmed and quartered
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup parsley
- juice of a lemon or lime
Add the garlic, onion and leeks and salt and pepper to a baking dish, spread the chopped mushrooms over the top, put slices of butter and olive oil over the top. Cover with baking paper then seal with foil.
When almost ready put in the oven or barbecue and cook until the mushrooms are tender – about 1/2 hour. When ready add the parsley, wine and lemon juice and stir together. Check seasoning and serve.
Also a very easy way to prepare and cook a fairly large quantity of mushrooms. These are also prepped well in advance and can be cooked in the oven or barbecue as in the previous recipe.
- Mushrooms – cleaned, trimmed and quartered, halved or whole depending on size
- Spice mix – Moroccan, Italian, lemon / salt / pepper,
- rice bran oil
Place all the ingredients in a bag, leave for the flavours to mix through. When ready to cook pour into a a baking dish, cover with baking paper and foil. Cook as in the previous recipe. Serve.