I needed a salad to serve with my first attempt at a smoked brisket so went looking for my bag of black beans so I could make black bean salsa but there were none there. There were French lentils which are pretty good for salads so I went with them and a nice dressing. This is good, keeps well and could almost be a meal in itself.
- 2 ¼ cups/1x375g packet lentils
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup sultanas, chopped
- 1/3 cup capers, chopped
- Other things to be added before serving including basil, parsley, coriander, toasted nuts (walnuts, pine nuts, seeds etc), crumbled feta, finely chopped vegetables like zucchini, capsicum, cauliflower, carrot etched.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup or coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp French mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Make dressing into a jar with a screw top, shake well and put aside. There will be left overs that can be used later.
- Chop the onion, sultanas and capers and put in a large bowl.
- Cook lentils according to instructions on the packet, or rinse thoroughly first then cook at a simmer for approximately 20 minutes. (test regularly and stop cooking when it is al dente).
- When cooked rinse the lentils well and drain, leaving them still warm then place them in the bowl with the chopped onions, sultanas and capers.
- Add enough dressing to coat all the ingredients, toss well and refrigerate until needed.
- Put the portion that will be needed for a serving into a separate bowl then add other ingredients. Stir together and serve.