This is surprisingly quick to make, particularly in comparison to chia porridge, a minute to grind a d a minute to cook in the microwave. Only one bowl to wash up. Keeps ok so you can make enough for a fdw days .
It is best to buy whole flax seeds and grind them as neeeded as ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal) goes rancid fairly quickly. I didn’t like flax seeds at all until I started grinding my own but you do need a good grinder, the food processor just takes them for the little ride. For small quantities the grinding attachment on the Bamix is perfect.
Chia and flax are so healthy that I about to try mixing the cooked flax seeds with soaked chia for a double dose of goodness at breakfast. Like a chia/flax bircher.
- 2 tbsps ground flaxseed or flax meal
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
- honey to taste – really doesn’t need it
- 1 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (because I put it in everything)
extra milk kefir and/or coconut water to thin it a little for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a microwavable bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot – thin with coconut water, nut milk or kefir and add chopped berries and a sprinkle of toasted nuts and seeds