CHICKEN AND CORN CHOWDER
We have been making this recipe for over thirty years, it is so easy and can easily be upscaled to feed a crowd. It is great campfire food.
- Pre-cooked roast chicken, bones removed and cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 litre chicken stock or equivalent made from stock powder
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can creamed corn
- Dash of chilli sauce
- Juice of half lemon
- Zest of a lemon
- Chicken stock powder, additional, to taste
- Additional water if required
- 3 spring onions, whites and some of the green part, finely sliced
- 1 tsp corn flour for thickening if required (thinned with some liquid from the soup)
- OPTIONAL – 1/2 cup kefir or 100g cream cheese thinned with some liquid from the soup
Cook the onion and garlic in a small amount of oil until tender, add the stock, creamed corn and corn kernels, and return to heat through. Add chicken and leave for the flavours to develop.
Add chilli sauce, lemon juice, adjust seasoning – adding chicken stock powder and pepper if necessary.
Add extra water if the soup is too dense. Thicken with cornflour (add 1 tsp of cornflour to some liquid from the soup, stir well to remove any lumps, then add to the soup when it is off the heat).
For a creamier soup add some kefir or cream cheese (mix with some soup, to remove any lumps first).
To serve, sprinkle the finely sliced spring onions and lemon zest over the soup. Add freshly ground pepper.