BOUEF BOURGUIGNON (Julia Child)
- 3 rashers of fatty bacon, rind removed and cut into 1cm wide strips (par boil rind and bacon for 10 minutes if possible)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 kg chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces and well dried with paper towel
- 3 carrots chopped into large triangles
- 2 sliced onions
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 beef stock cubes and enough additional water to just cover the meat (or beef stock)
- 4 tbs tomato paste
- 6 cloves mashed garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 3 sprigs fresh
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 kg quartered fresh mushrooms , sautéed in butter and oil before adding to the stew just before serving
This works well in the slow cooker – can do all the preparation in the kitchen, cook in the slow cooker then put in the camp oven and reheat before serving.
Heat the camp oven and sauté the bacon in the oil to brown lightly. Remove and set aside in a bowl.
Reheat the pan and brown the meat on all sides, a few pieces at a time, add to the bowl with the bacon
In the same fat, brown the vegetables. Pour out any fat. Put the vegetables in a separate bowl.
Toss the flour, salt and pepper into the beef and bacon mix. Cook and toss the meat a few times to brown the flour and cover the meat with a light crust.
Add the vegetables, stir in the wine, and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered. Add the tomato paste, garlic, herbs, and bacon rind. Cover the camp oven and place on the coals, place coals on the lid.
Cook slowly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.
While the beef is cooking, prepare the mushrooms by cooking in a separate pan in oil and butter. Set them aside until needed.
When the meat is tender, scoop off any excess liquid and reduce. Add the mushrooms to the meat and return the reduced stock.
Taste and adjust seasoning and reheat if necessary.
Serve – sprinkle with parsley.